EATING FOR ENERGY WITH DR. BRITTNY HOWELL
Welcome back to Mind Over Motherhood!
On this week’s episode of Mind Over Motherhood, I’m sharing an interview with Dr. Brittny Howell all about eating for energy!
Dr. Brittny is like me – a doctor turned coach- combining her medical expertise into a comprehensive coaching practice to support women. HUZZAH!
Let’s face it, as moms, we need a LOT OF ENERGY for what we do.
There’s kids to bathe, businesses to build, dogs to walk and bills to pay (to name just a few).
We wear a lot of hats and in order to wear them best, we need energy to get things done.
So I was SO excited to meet Dr. Brittny Howell, who is a board-certified vascular surgeon turned health coach for high-achieving moms.
This is one educated lady and I am so honoured to have her on Mind Over Motherhood. Brittny received her Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry from Duke University. She earned Medical Doctorate at New York University and then stayed there to complete her general surgery training. Finally, she completed her training in vascular surgery at Georgetown University.
She’s also married to her best friend’s wife, a mom of three, and a pop music lover.
By now, she’s taken care of thousands of patients and brings together coaching and doctoring to help moms thrive with a comprehensive personal care plan that they can sustain in their full lives.
I had an amazing time chatting with Brittny about eating for energy and much more!
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE:
WHAT’S DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE:
- THE IMPORTANCE OF HYDRATION – Did you know that 75% of people are chronically dehydrated? When it comes to energy, hydration is king. When it comes to eating for energy, we cannot forget our water intake! Dr. Brittny shares the ideal amount of water we should be drinking daily to maintain our energy levels and avoid nasty chapped lips, dry skin and constipation (among other things!) Brittny also shares how our hunger and thirst centres are linked – listen to learn more!
- IT’S ALL IN THE PLANNING – The trouble with eating without a plan is that we are more likely to grab quick, high-calorie snacks or feel grumpy all day with erratic blood sugar. Dr. Brittny shares how to make a simple eating plan for the day and why eating properly isn’t about restriction but intention. By being intentional about what you’re eating, when you’re eating and how often, you can feel more in control of your eating habits and energy levels throughout the day. If you’re committed to eating for energy, it’s going to take some planning.
- FOOD IS GOOD – Dr. Brittny shares that too often women who are trying to lose or maintain their weight begin to develop a scarcity or shame mindset around eating. Instead, she recommends remembering that FOOD IS GOOD and working to cultivate a positive relationship with food. The more we try to restrict or deprive ourselves of certain foods, the more likely we are to crave and binge on them, so instead, approach eating with a mindset of abundance. Dr. Brittny shares some tips on how to shift your mindset.
- UNPACKING YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH FOOD – Carly and Brittny discuss how eating is emotional and often comes with many deeply buried beliefs. It’s important to be aware of how these beliefs may impact your eating behaviour and how you can work to rethink them.
- POST-BABY BODIES – Dr. Brittny provides some advice to postpartum and breastfeeding moms about their bodies and how to fuel them.
DO YOU DREAM OF BEING A SUCCESSFUL ENTREPRENEUR?
Do you dream of starting an online business, but a little voice inside your head keeps telling you’re not good enough?
That you’ll never know enough?
That there are so many more people more qualified than you?
Do you find yourself getting sucked into a vortex of self-doubting thoughts?
Introducing: YOUR INNER CRITIC
That annoying mean girl inside your head that wants to keep you safe and comfortable.
She’s holding you back from taking action and building the online business of your dreams.
It’s time to tell that b*tch where to go, ya?
Get my free guide to learn 5 strategies to quiet your inner critic and overcome self-doubt as an aspiring mompreneur today!
LET’S DO THIS.
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE + REVIEW:
Want to be the first to know when new episodes are released?
Also, podcast reviews are super important to the iTunes algorithm and the more reviews we receive, the more likely we’ll be able to get this podcast and message in front of more people.
I’d be extremely grateful if you left a review for this episode right here!
Also, I'd love to know if you're listening and what your favourite take-away is! Be sure to take a screenshot and tag me @carlycrewe on IG!
ARE WE FRIENDS ON SOCIAL MEDIA?
Did you learn something amazing from this episode, or have one of those incredible A-HA moments? Do you know someone else who might benefit from the goodies in this episode?
Be sure to share this episode with them on social media, whether it’s on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest so we can reach more mamas with this message.
I’d love to know if you’re listening and what your favourite take-away is! Be sure to take a screenshot and tag me @carlycrewe on IG!
AUTHOR: DR. CARLY CREWE, MD
Dr. Carly Crewe MD is a mom to twin toddlers, a medical doctor specializing in maternal mental health AND an Anxiety + Mindset Coach for Moms and Mompreneurs who are stuck in overwhelm, self-doubt and indecision.
Carly uses a combination of cognitive behavioural strategies, life coaching techniques and motivational interviewing to support moms to quiet the chaos in their lives and master their mindset so that they can build the life (and online business) that they dream of, without sacrificing their role as a mother.